Necessary Sacrifices for Environmental Sanity?

According to the Wall Street Journal, golf courses consume enough water to supply the household needs of two-thirds of the U.S. population. Can you imagine the ruling class acting to limit its favorite “sport”? Newport, John Paul. 2008. “Play It as It Dries.” Wall Street Journal (3 May): p. W 1.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120976555972963663.html?mod=todays_us_weekend_journal

“Nationwide, golf-course irrigation consumes less than half of 1% of the 408 billion gallons of water used daily, a golf-industry report concludes. Even so, that’s a lot of water — two billion gallons a day, or enough to satisfy the household needs of more than two-thirds of the U.S. population, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.”

1 comment so far

  1. David Ward on

    I was intrigued by the thought that golf courses used two-thirds of US residential water use, yet consumed only 1% of all daily water in the US. I then wondered who and how the other 99% is used.

    When checking the WSJ article, it had a correction saying that the 2 billion gallons consumed daily is only 7-12% (not two-thirds) of daily residential use, but it still eaves me wondering who uses the rest of the water.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: